Felt, music, yoga and baking are all on the docket for the next round of after-school art classes offered by Anacortes School District.
The district offers the After School Arts Program a few times a year. Classes for fall start the week of Oct. 1 and continue on for six weeks. Monday classes end Nov. 5, and classes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday will skip the week of Oct. 9 and will end during the week Nov. 13. Costs range from $45 to $75. Free and reduced rates are available. Registration is due Sept. 27. Call 360-503-1219 or stop by 2200 M Ave. for information.
Classes at Island View Elementary School are 3:40 to 5 p.m. each day.
• Felted Air Plant Jellies & Creatures of the Sea, taught by Chris Wood, is open to kids in grades three to five and is on Mondays. Students will felt a jelly fish body and using a living air plant for the tentacles. 55.
• Felted Fashion, for grades four and five, is also led by Chris Wood. The Tuesday class will allow kids to create a felted scarf and wrist warmers. $55.
• Beginning Guitar, led by Alex Heubel, is on Wednesday afternoons and is for kids in grades four and five. $45.
• Let’s Explore Art!, led by Liz Lovelett, will challenge kids in kindergarten and first grade to learn about different mediums and artistic styles. It is offered Thursdays at Mount Erie Elementary School. $45.
• The Art of the Horse, of course!, is for grades two to five. Led by Stephanie Schemann, the Wednesday afternoon class allows students to study different horse breeds and create a personal portrait of their favorites. $45.
Classes at Fidalgo Elementary School are 2:50 to 4:15 p.m.
• Awesome Paper Art, led by Joy Pesaturo is for grades two to five and is on Tuesdays. Students will experience paper by folding, cutting, quilling and sculpting. $45.
• Yoga, on Thursday afternoons, is led by Melissa Hawkins, for kindergarten to second grade. The class includes games, storytelling, music and art, as well as yoga poses, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. $45.
Classes at Whitney Elementary School are 3:45 to 6 p.m.
• Yoga, on Tuesday afternoons, is led by Melissa Hawkins, is for students in kindergarten to first grade and includes games, storytelling, music, art and relaxation techniques. $45.
• Let’s Explore Art!, led by Liz Lovelett on Wednesdays, will challenge kids in kindergarten and first grade to learn about different mediums and artistic styles. $45.
Classes at Anacortes Middle School (for elementary school students) are 3:45 to 5:15 p.m. The Let’s Bake II class, for older students, is 2:15 to 3:45 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Let’s Bake 101, led by Jackie Davison, will have two sessions, each open to 10 students. In both, students in grades four and five will learn how to bake cookies, cupcakes and brownies from scratch and how to keep their work area clean. One session is Mondays, and one is Tuesdays. $75.
• Let’s Bake II, open to those in sixth, seventh and eighth grades, is led by Jackie Davison. Students will learn to make new items, keep their workspace clean and to cook safely. $75.