EVERETT, Wash. (AP) — A Washington state county approved a $1 million settlement with the family of a man who was shot and killed by a sheriff’s deputy.
The Snohomish County Council and the family reached the settlement last week and the council voted to approve the agreement Monday, The Daily Herald reports.
The county admitted no wrongdoing and the family agreed to drop all claims against the county as part of the settlement.
Nickolas Peters, 24, was shot and killed following a chase by Snohomish County sheriff’s deputies in October 2018, authorities said.
Peters’ family filed a lawsuit last summer seeking $20 million in damages through a jury trial.
Deputies pinned Peters’ truck against bushes following a brief, high-speed chase east of Lynnwood, 16 miles (26 kilometers) north of Seattle, authorities said.
Investigators found deputies shouted conflicting commands outside Peters' vehicle before Deputy Art Wallin shot him twice.
The sheriff's office fired Wallin in October following an internal investigation. In a decision letter, then-Sheriff Ty Trenary determined Wallin broke policy by pursuing Peters and by shooting him.
Prosecutor Adam Cornell declined to pursue charges against the deputy after reviewing an investigation conducted by the Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team.