February 16, 1949 - September 29, 2019 Terrill Lee Velin passed over on September 29, 2019 from a five-month battle with esophageal cancer. He was at home in Anacortes, WA, surrounded by love and song and laughter. He is preceded in death by his little sister, Danita Truitt (Velin), and his parents, Raymond Earl and Vivian Marie. He is also preceded by his wife of 50 years, Ronda Kay Velin (Henderson), who passed 18 months earlier. He is survived by three children (Sommer Lee, Camie Jo, Andrew Scott) and three grandchildren (Jade Velin, Lily Isadora and Sophia Desiree). Born in Sioux City, Iowa, on February 16, 1949, Terry attended East High School and then ran track on a scholarship at Morningside College before transferring to Evangel College in Springfield, Missouri. There, he played just about every sport they asked him to and was such a phenomenal athlete that he earned the moniker, "Mr. Terrific." He was inducted into the Evangel Hall of Fame in 1973 for track, soccer and wresting. He majored in business and fell in love with Ronda Henderson, the women who would be the one and only love of his life. Once married, Terry and Ronda moved around a bit, finally settling in Orange County, California, with their three kids. He worked as a distribution manager for the Gillette Company until his retirement 30 years later, and to our knowledge, never once missed a day of work due to illness. He had an incredible work ethic and was known to be a fair and kind boss. He volunteered countless hours helping raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for children's foundations in Southern California. He was steadfast, caring and generous, and worked hard to not only support his own family of five, but dozens of people in need. Terry and Ronda opened their home to most anyone struggling to find shelter and a place to belong, believing deeply that this was a calling from God. They helped several of their children's school friends, a homeless mother of two, a family of five and their three pets, various aunties and uncles, and many individuals who had nowhere else to turn. Terry would work 10-hour days and be home every single night to have dinner with his family (and whomever was living with them at the time). And despite his overwhelming schedule, he would somehow make it to all of his children's school events and take them out to breakfast every year on their birthdays. He was truly an amazing man. Upon retirement, Terry and Ronda moved to a 6-acre property in the rolling hills of wine country on California's Central Coast. There, he dove into the hobbies he had never had time for: drawing, painting, wood-working, gardening, riding his motorcycle, and tinkering around in his workshop. He was outside as much as possible and made a point to get to know all of their neighbors, even though they each lived five acres away. He would host happy hour and cigars on his front patio, and everyone was invited. He turned their property The Velin Ranchito as he called it, into a place of beauty and welcome. Tragically, Ronda became very ill, and four years later, they moved up to Anacortes, WA, to be close to their grandkids for the time she had left. For the next two years, Terry was Ronda's primary caregiver. He was by her side every step of her journey and was holding her hand when she took her last breath. He spent the next year redefining a life without his partner. Despite his profound grief, he hosted family dinner every single Sunday night and attended all of Andrew and Sommer's concerts. He dog-sat his grand-dogs often and made a point to show up for as many of his granddaughters' school events as possible. He became a fixture in our little Anacortes music community, and, as he always had, taught many what a family man truly looks like. Terry's acceptance of his illness was full of grace and peace. He walked toward his death with love and equanimity, the likes of which are rarely seen. He longed to be reunited with his soulmate, and to look upon the face of his Creator. He was always pondering the philosophical questions of life and constantly asked the hard, unanswerable questions. Unsurprisingly, the last thing Terry said to his family before slipping into unconsciousness was, "Any more questions?" It brings us all deep, abiding joy to know that he finally has his answers.

Load comments