Washington State Department of Transportation reminds all travelers to prepare themselves and their vehicles well before the threat of snow and ice kicks into high gear.
• Make sure brakes and other mechanical parts are working properly.
• Studded tires are allowed Nov. 1 through March 31, though stud-free, winter traction tires cause less road damage.
• All travelers are reminded to carry chains whenever crossing mountain passes to be prepared for changing weather conditions. Failure to obey a tire chains sign can mean a ticket of up to $500.
• Download the WSDOT mobile app or sign up for email and/or text updates about road conditions: @wsdot_north or @WSDOT
• WSDOT’s traffic information radio stations are 530 AM and 1610 AM.
• Check out winter driving tips and information at wsdot.wa.gov or dial 511 and get the most up-to-date roadway information before heading out.
Ferry users are reminded that changing weather and lower temperatures allow for slick roadways leading to and surrounding the WSF terminals.