EARLY HISTORY: Hans Olson, born in Norway in 1850, came to the U.S. in 1868, and to this area in 1881, where he was the first mail carrier for the Stillaguamish Post Office (now Silvana) traveling by boat between there and Stanwood.
James H. Perkins, born in Main, came to Utsaladdy in 1858. He blazed the gateway to opening trails and erecting cabins for the coming pioneers to live in.
100 YEARS AGO (1918)
Albert R. Gibson, contractor, owned the Hillcrest Apartments in East Stanwood.
Two of Nels and Petra Olsen’s sons served in WWI, while their mother worked earnestly for the Red Cross.
90 YEARS AGO (1928)
“Brudefaerden I Hardinager” was a Norwegian play at the Ideal Theatre.
A plane from Everett landed in Stanwood, to create interest in an airport for the two Stanwoods.
80 YEARS AGO (1938)
The Stanwood Pirates opened basketball conference play by winning over the Sultan Turks.
The Epworth League convention for Puget Sound was in Stanwood at the Methodist Episcopal Church.
70 YEARS AGO (1948)
In aid of power consumption reduction, town Christmas lights were not put up.
60 YEARS AGO (1958)
The Mystery Farm Photo Contest was run in this newspaper, where readers had to guess whose farm was in the aerial photo. Prizes were awarded.
50 YEARS AGO (1968)
Silvana First National Bank was robbed.
KAPS of Mount Vernon broadcast the community choir’s presentation of “The Messiah.”
40 YEARS AGO (1978)
Nearly a quarter of Stanwood school children were absent, due to chicken pox, strep throat, scarlet fever and flu-like symptoms.
Bud Lynn was recognized for 25 years with the fire department on Camano Island.
30 YEARS AGO (1988)
Franklin Hanson retired, after serving as school custodian since 1969.
Seven Camano streets were renamed.
Boys & Girls Club was to open at the old Lincoln School, after a year at Stanwood Middle School.
20 YEARS AGO (1998)
Stanwood karate champ Deanne Eastbury ranked ninth in the world.
Stanwood’s senior cop, LeRoy Moses, retired.
Stanwood Chamber went online.
The city was closer to adopting cell tower regulations.
Another retiree, John Holmes, left banking after 40 years.
10 YEARS AGO (2008)
More than 30 inches of snow had a near-crippling effect on Stanwood and Camano Island; the temperature dipped to 7 degrees. Businesses and schools closed.
Parents said bullying at the high school was getting out of hand.
A sex offender was moving to Stanwood and the area around his home would be marked with warning signs.
The USS Ford, a 453-foot frigate, was in Port Susan Bay conducting exercises.
The Lions Club served its lutefisk dinner for the 56th year, serving over 1,000 diners.