EARLY HISTORY: In 1868, Rasmus Settre and wife Ingeborg came to America then to Stanwood in 1885 at Cedarhome.
The Depot Restaurant and candy stand were for sale in 1908, by Erick Johnson at East Stanwood.
D.O. Pearson said that the Peters line of shoes, new to this community, were “wearers.”
100 YEARS AGO (1918)
People’s Union Store, founded in 1903, was the first store erected in East Stanwood and formed the nucleus of the town that built up around it.
90 YEARS AGO (1928)
Karl Schmidt of Berg Neukirchen, Germany, bought the Stanwood Laundry.
Cedarhome School teacher Reba Middlestate conducted a “fine” program for parents.
The Stanwood Boy Scouts, dormant because of the scoutmaster’s illness, became active again with Pastor Paul Campbell now the new scoutmaster.
80 YEARS AGO (1938)
Only 4.2 inches of rain was recorded for November instead of the usual 5.76.
Gale-force winds played havoc with telephone wires, bringing down poles and taking out power for days.
70 YEARS AGO (1948)
Electricity use had to be conserved between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m. to avoid breakdown in the electricity systems of the entire Pacific Northwest.
Four local boys were drafted into the armed services under the new laws.
60 YEARS AGO (1958)
Trees along 271st Street were uprooted as part of the plan to clear strips for parking.
The postal service did not favor the establishment of a Camano post office.
50 YEARS AGO (1968)
Ground was broken at Warm Beach for the Free Methodist Church building.
Road crews on Camano resurfaced four roads.
East Coast clam diggers had bushel baskets of soft-shell clams, the same variety transplanted here in the 1880s.
40 YEARS AGO (1978)
Stanwood tenor Dave Thorsen was the featured soloist at the Norwegian Male Chorus 73rd annual pre-Christmas concert. Barbara Logan of Stanwood and Kristen Dobler were pianists.
Jerry Blades was among those decorating Stanwood streets with cutouts of Scandinavian elves.
30 YEARS AGO (1988)
Spartan wrestlers took three individual championships at a seven-team match under direction of new coach George Harris.
Roads were slick with hail and frost.
Northland Cable TV started another phase of cable extensions on Camano.
20 YEARS AGO (1998)
Red Cross honored heroes, among them Stanwood Police Officer Matthew Graham.
Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen of Camano was named to head the Senate Transportation Committee.
Stanwood’s next police officers were expected to also be Snohomish County deputy sheriffs.
The rumor was not true that the school district was turning down state money to purchase fine art for local schools.
10 YEARS AGO (2008)
Stan Taloff of Camano was named as head baseball coach for Archbishop Thomas J. Murphy High School in Everett.
Terry’s Corner Fire Station hosted the Freedom Park Association’s commemoration of Pearl Harbor Day. Eight Pearl Harbor survivors told their stories to a packed house.
The Stanwood Lions put up new snowflake holiday decorations in downtown Stanwood.
Four middle school classrooms sent care packages and letters to soldiers in Iraq for the fifth year.
The varnish clam, an invasive species, was found on Camano Island beaches and Warm Beach shores.