EARLY HISTORY: Before the 1900s, lots of dances and basket socials were held at the Scandinavian Village Hall, two miles east of Cedarhome Store.
In 1909, the Norman Literary Club held a spelling match where everyone participated: farmers, school children, clerks, Harvard graduates, judges, meat butchers and loggers. Clara Foss won.
100 YEARS AGO (1919)
More folks from Scandinavian countries arrived in this area: Gulbransons from Norway to Stanwood and Larsens from Sweden to Cedarhome.
90 YEARS AGO (1929)
Stanwood’s founder, D.O. Pearson, was mourned after his passing.
After his marriage to Ruth Wear, H. Allan Anderson became a businessman in Stanwood, was a fireman for 30 years and active in civic organizations.
80 YEARS AGO (1939)
Camano Island farmers called a meeting to form a cooperative exchange.
Owner of Allan’s Grocery Store in Stanwood, H. Allan Anderson, started the business this year, and later helped write Stanwood’s history.
70 YEARS AGO (1949)
Popular city clerk A.G. Felsenthal retired.
Continuing frigid weather strained resources of Puget Sound Power and Light Co. to the limit.
60 YEARS AGO (1959)
The approach to the new Thomle bridge at Florence was to be blacktopped before opening for use.
Rev. Theol Hoiland was the new pastor at Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church.
50 YEARS AGO (1969)
Wayne Lewis from Alaska joined the Stanwood Police force.
Utsalady Grocery changed hands from Dorothy and Ken Anderson to Eleanor and Russell Mitchel.
Charlie and Pat Weaver took over the Viking Restaurant.
40 YEARS AGO (1979)
Northern Tier Pipeline wanted to build a pipeline across Camano and Stanwood towards the Midwest.
Children from the co-op preschool collected and donated toys for the Key Club to distribute.
SHS seniors held a rock-a-thon to raise money for a memorial to fellow classmate Carol Wilson.
Becky Christianson, legally blind Camano Islander, passed away after writing the Island County courthouse news column for this paper for 12 years.
30 YEARS AGO (1989)
Judge Merle Wilcox of Camano Island was awakened Christmas night with a telephone call that said someone tried to burn down the Island County District Court building in Oak Harbor.
Fire gutted the historical Thomas Stocken Adams log house near Warm Beach. It was built in the 1860s and was originally a telegraph station for the Stillaguamish Valley.
Camano’s liquor store closed permanently after 20 years.
20 YEARS AGO (1999)
A power surge on Camano caused televisions to explode and “fried” computers.
Alma Leach and Thelma Weber, both of Camano, were welcomed by the long-term care program: Alma to Warm Beach Senior Community and Thelma to Josephine Sunset Home.
Teen firefighters Jeff Marrs and Ryan Shaughnessy completed EMT training.
10 YEARS AGO (2009)
Near-record snowstorms and cold affected Stanwood and Camano Island during Christmas holidays, collapsing roofs under three feet of snow.
Angel of the Winds Casino opened Dec. 28, 2008, in a new $44 million expansion that added 300 jobs for locals.
The 13th annual Warm Coats for Kids drive began. In past years, customers of Haggen Food and Pharmacy donated 5,000-6,000 coats annually.
Community Resources Foundation was seeking youth to serve on an advisory council.
New Beginnings, a horse rescue business, was in dire need of funds.