July 4 celebration 1909

Street view of the July 4, 1909, celebration in Stanwood looks down Market Street (102nd Avenue) toward the river. Crowds lined the street on both sides awaiting arrival of the annual parade. This photo was probably taken from the second floor of the Melby Hotel, which stood on the corner where Stanwood Camano Food Bank is now.

EARLY HISTORY: The Dimick family settled in Stanwood in the late 1880s; son Glen was born in 1896.

Einar Botten of Silvana passed the first grade in 1909 and grew up to help in the family store.

People took seriously the July 4 holiday, with many communities gathering for celebration and picnics.

100 YEARS AGO (1919)

Allan Bartz remodeled the old Depot Hotel and renamed it the Bartz Hotel (behind today’s Wayne’s Cafe).

90 YEARS AGO (1929)

About 1,500 barrels of oil were used on Camano roads.

Damp weather helped spread the parasitic disease, coccidiosis, in local baby chicks.

Johnson and Anderson of Camano Service Station had the sales agency for the Willys Whippet and Knight cars.

Warm Beach and Norman school districts were annexed to the new Union High School District.

Mrs. Rufus Layman was the Irvine Library librarian.

80 YEARS AGO (1939)

A free health clinic for school children and those of preschool age was held at the Warm Beach School.

70 YEARS AGO (1949)

Woodfield’s Camano Island Beautification committee painted the old Mabana schoolhouse, which was the meeting place for Mabana Ladies Aid and a Sunday School.

60 YEARS AGO (1959)

More than 350 people worked in strawberry packing at local plants.

Posts for new road signs were placed on Camano.

Pastor Anton Johnson was new at Camano Lutheran Church.

Ray Lang of Carnation bought Lands Hill Garage from Nels Land.

50 YEARS AGO (1969)

Cascade Natural Gas installation began in Stanwood.

Don Brekhus was ordained into the ministry at Silvana.

40 YEARS AGO (1979)

Camano Cooperative Water and Power Co. stopped selling shares for new water hookups, until it was known how much water could be supplied.

Washington State Department of Transportation built a new bridge across the Stillaguamish River on Highway 530 north of Silvana.

30 YEARS AGO (1989)

Summer hit with 90 degrees while kids were roguing spinach in fields around Stanwood.

A controversial sex ed class plan was approved by school directors.

20 YEARS AGO (1999)

Camano State Park Day was celebrated, marking 50 years.

Emergency services providers, utilities and grocers met to make sure all was ready for Y2K.

The Pavilion at Stanwood-Camano Village held a grand opening.

10 YEARS AGO (2009)

The June 23 issue of the Stanwood Camano News was the last to be printed on failing presses in the Stanwood plant.

The June 30 and subsequent newspapers were printed off site, on Skagit Publishing’s new press in Mount Vernon.

The seventh Twin City Idlers car show had almost 500 entries lining 271st Street NW between Stanwood Middle School and the Stanwood Police Station.

School bus routes changed along with district spending cuts.

Lindsay Johnson of Stanwood won an Emmy during the annual Television Arts and Sciences awards banquet in San Diego.

Over $197,000 was raised in the community’s Relay for Life.

— Pick up a set of the Stanwood Story to see many photos and stories from early-day Stanwood and Camano Island — $20 per volume or $50 for all three.

Stop by the SC News office at 9005 271st St. NW, Stanwood, or call 360-629-2155.

Load comments