EARLY HISTORY: Clara Stanwood Pearson made a scrapbook of early Stanwood happenings, pasting clippings into an unused Pearson Store catalog. It was later donated to the Pioneer Historical Society of Washington.
Daughter Eva Pearson became the organist at the Methodist Church for 33 years.
100 YEARS AGO (1919)
J. L. Norman was the first president of the newly organized Snohomish County Dairymen’s Association.
George Chandler arrived from California and went to work for Bennie’s Mill.
90 YEARS AGO (1929)
Stanwood built a two-story fire station for $2,500 on the existing concrete foundation.
Roads were still so bad in rural areas after the storms that school bus drivers had a hard time delivering everyone. Mail carriers also had problems delivering mail.
Sunday School at Victoria Community Hall (288th Street NE) was discontinued because of so much illness.
80 YEARS AGO (1939)
Five new cabins were built at Madrona Beach.
The Four Leaf Clover Club voted to have street signs put up in Stanwood.
70 YEARS AGO (1949)
East Stanwood voters passed bonds for a new city hall (now American Legion Hall).
Twin City Cardinals won their first game in the state B-League basketball tourney at Tacoma.
60 YEARS AGO (1959)
The illuminated advertising sign at Twin City High School (now Stanwood Middle School) was bought by East Stanwood Lions Club and the Chambers of Commerce of Camano and Stanwood.
50 YEARS AGO (1969)
Andersons sold Utsalady Grocery to the Mitchells.
Pioneer Joe Meade passed away; he was the engineer on the H&H Railway that ran west from the Great Northern tracks at East Stanwood along 271st (Main/Burnway) to vicinity of Bank of America.
40 YEARS AGO (1979)
Cliff Myron, born in Stanwood in 1932, later became the high school principal from 1979 to 1986.
The Camano water study was open to public review.
Capt. George Ryan, one of the last old-time steamboat captains, died at age 90.
30 YEARS AGO (1989)
Ten inches of snow fell, toppling trees and causing power outages, followed four days later by a 3.7 earthquake.
“Jews for Jesus” brought Passover to Warm Beach Camp.
Bruce Bretland of the Camano pioneer Bretland family, was commissioned an honorary Washington General, State Citizen and Ambassador of Goodwill.
20 YEARS AGO (1999)
Karla Matzke of Camano was named Artist of the Year by the county Arts Council.
Bulkheads took a beating in winds of 65 mph, and a huge tree trunk skewered a pickup cab.
10 YEARS AGO (2009)
Over 440 puppies from an alleged puppy mill became available for adoption.
Development plans in the Camano Gateway area between Land’s Hill and Terry’s Corner allowed for convenience stores, hotels and gas stations.
Lower school enrollment and state funding cuts could cause teacher layoffs next year.
Elmer Norgaard, born here in 1913, passed away after a lifetime involvement in the community, serving on boards of Stanwood Community Fair and Evergreen State Fair, and being involved in 4-H clubs and the historical society. His vintage autos were a fixture in the Stanwood parades.
Angee Kopelowitz of Camano held the title of Mrs. Island County and competed in the Mrs. Washington pageant.
Angie Schmitt, former SHS basketball stand-out in the mid-1990s, was a referee in the state girls’ 4A basketball championships in the Tacoma Dome.