Blue green algae

Toxic blue green algae often looks like bright green paint. (File photo)

The Skagit County Health Department issued a health warning about toxic blue green algae at Campbell Lake and noted that some bloom has been seen at Beaver Lake.

A water sample from Campbell Lake on Sept.7 showed high levels of the toxin Microcystin — at 21.9 mcrograms per liter. The level becomes a health concern at 8 micrograms. 

Warning signs have been posted.

The toxin can cause rash and liver damage. Health officials advise staying out of the water until it clears. Also:

  • Do not drink lake water
  • Keep pets and livestock away
  • Clean fish well and discard guts
  • Avoid areas of scum while boating

Visual evidence of the bloom was seen Sept. 7 at Beaver Lake but so far is below the warning level.  A caution sign was posted.

Meanwhile, Pass Lake in the Skagit County portion of the park remains closed to all users due to high Anatoxin-a levels. The most recent sample from Sept. 7 tested 692 micrograms of Anatoxin-a per liter, while the state action level is 1 microgram per liter.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.